Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 02, 2024, 06:11:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report: Motorola May Leave Handset Business  (Read 8436 times)
sjj
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »

New reports indicate that Motorola may be leaving the mobile phone industry and/or may be bought by Chinese investors

Motorola enjoyed record success in 2005 with the release of the RAZR, which went on to sell 110 million units and boost the company to the number two position in handsets behind Nokia.  Since that time, Motorola has struggled to match this epic success.

Motorola first tried to boost sales in 2006 by cutting prices, which led to a sharp drop in profits.  This in turn led to "cost-savings" in 2007, which basically equated to closing hardware and software development locations and cutting jobs.

In Q4 2007, Motorola closed the year with a $1.2 billion USD loss.  The company's handset share also sunk in 2007 from 23% to a meager 13%.

Now there are reports that Motorola may be looking to cut its losses and leave the handset market entirely.  This would leave an uncertain fate for the company's more popular lines such as the new RAZR and the Sidekick.  These products and their engineering and support staff could be sold off to competitors or simply reassigned to different projects, keeping only a bare minimum for product support.

If Motorola exits the headset business, it will likely focus on becoming a government and enterprise company, said Richard Windsor, an analyst with Nomura International in a note to his clients released Tuesday.

There is also separate speculation that a Chinese buyout of the Illinois-based Motorola is forthcoming, but Windsor says this is unlikely.  He says that Chinese vendors do not have the expertise needed to deal with Motorola's software, hardware, and marketing woes, so both sides may be reticent to make a deal.

Motorola currently offers several competitive music phone-related headphone products, featured in last year's Holiday Guide at DailyTech.  These lines also share an uncertain fate if the handset business is phased out.

Motorola is also involved heavily in the microprocessor, embedded computing, two-way radio, and networking markets.  Motorola was previously involved in the government sector, until 2001 when it sold off its defense holdings to General Dynamics.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Motorola+May+Leave+Handset+Business/article10503.htm

Sad huh? Embarrassed
Joka X
MH Official Spammer
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »

noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jithin
Inactive :(
Global Moderator
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:12:52 pm »

Cant believe the #2 handset manufacturer in the world is in such a horrible situation.. Sad Sad

keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

http://jeffri.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:21:54 pm »

Not good......

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

motomaniacs
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:42:01 pm »

Bad News
Joka X
MH Official Spammer
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:32 pm »

Cant believe the #2 handset manufacturer in the world is in such a horrible situation.. Sad Sad
lol...it's third now.......
keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:07:29 am »

Maybe we should change to iPhone or another open source platform phone... Smiley lol

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

Joka X
MH Official Spammer
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:39 am »

lol....maybe Google's Android......
Jithin
Inactive :(
Global Moderator
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:39:39 am »

M3 already launched www.modmygphone.com .. Smiley

huatz84
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 01:43:36 am »

Noooo...How could it be? I'll stick to Motorola until all my phones are dead...Smiley
keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:47:43 am »

I think Open Moko will be great too... Smiley

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

huatz84
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:28 am »

I think Android,OpenMoko or whatever won't bee too easy to mod.Motorola is the only phone which is too easy to mod.We can mod its firmware or else.U can mod other brand phones but U can't make it to be just like U used to mod Motorola.If Moto is gone,I'll stop buying a new phone.I will use my current phones.
NiKSY
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 02:09:42 am »

I think Android,OpenMoko or whatever won't bee too easy to mod.Motorola is the only phone which is too easy to mod.We can mod its firmware or else.U can mod other brand phones but U can't make it to be just like U used to mod Motorola.If Moto is gone,I'll stop buying a new phone.I will use my current phones.

I agree with you.

And who said that iPhone is open-source??
keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 02:47:04 am »

No, i dont say iPhone open source...i said another open source platform... Smiley Maybe right that another phone is not easy to mod or cant be like Moto... But i have a hope for Open Moko... Grin

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 03:07:20 am »

The article is NOT true, because they recently signed contracts with Qualcomm for developments of 3G phones... I don't beleive someone will sign such contracts if he expect to shut down

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By Forum Hosting