Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 04, 2024, 03:09:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jad and jar  (Read 6096 times)
tarong
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:38:35 pm »

this may sound childish but i want to know the difference between jar and jad and when do we install jad
yozman
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:20:46 pm »

as far as i know jar is the archive of the application, jad i think contains the settings of it(like midlet or corelet). from the jad you can create a jar using a program. you can install an app with either one of them.
BruceLee
Really experienced

back in bussines

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:09:27 am »

Not really. Infact you can create the jad file from the jar because the jar it's just a renamed zip archive that contains all the neccessary files for the application to run properly. If you try to unzip a mobile java app you'll see that there is a folder called "META-INF" and inside is "MANIFEST.MF". This file is (allmost in all cases) the jad file. (There are some exceptions - eg. LightPlayer or Corelets -  that need to receive through the jad file some informations like the sounds folder or some settings).
The ideea is that for games you just need to install from jar and for the applications (especially corelets) it's better to install from jad.
(To install from jad you have to have the jar file also because the jad will be like a shortcut with parameters to the jar archive)
tarong
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:45:47 am »

thank for the explanation
BruceLee
Really experienced

back in bussines

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:15:40 am »

anytime
prasasti
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 07:55:17 am »

I see that the thread not closed yet, so maybe I can add some info about definition.

JAD, Java Application Descriptor, contains a predefined set of attributes that allow application management software to identify, retrieve, and install the MIDlets.

JAR, Java ARchive, contains java classes, resource files (for example, image files) and a manifest file that describing the JAR contents and specifying attributes.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 04:45:05 pm by prasasti » Logged
Jithin
Inactive :(
Global Moderator
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:37:14 am »

@tarong,
we have a karma system.. If you find the answers useful,you can add their karma by clicking "praise" link.. This will not only encourage them to help you again,but also will help others in knowing how good they are in helping people. I see prasasti helping a lot,but his karma hasn't changed any.. Sad

prasasti
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:30 am »

Hey..., thanks JithinSK.
I just wanted to share the knowledge I know and look for another that I dont.

Hmm.. maybe I should praise u for this.
farkzlay
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 07:33:25 pm »

very useful information.
you are guys very helped.
tarong
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:09:49 am »

thanks JithinSK i really appreciate this
prasasti
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 03:58:30 pm »

thanks JithinSK i really appreciate this

Like JithinSK said, praise...