Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 04, 2024, 12:58:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel SpeedStep  (Read 8193 times)
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:01:50 am »

The processor of E2 (Intel XScale PXA270) is supposed to have Intel SpeedStep technology included (due specifications). Currently we have some kind of speedstep by using AMPD (different speed for different modes). However on PC the SpeedStep'ping is working on different way - the processor speed is decreased based on it's load. It is much better way of course, because you can decrease speed even when playing hard java game - for example when you press pause or when you are in the menu of the game (not much power needed).

What do you think - is the SpeedStep of our moto just implemented by ampd or the real speedstep is still hidden for us?

More info for intel speedstep:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

More info for PXA270:
http://www.intel.com/design/embeddedpca/applicationsprocessors/302302.htm

Taurnil
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:53:43 am »

well.... as far as I've seen, E2 changes its speed depending on the processor's load... while  you're playing only music it works @208MHz, when the cellphone is idle, it works @113MHz, while you're multitasking (bluetooth+music+java) it works @ 312MHz (I'm talking about a stock APMD)... I don't know why this behaviour changes while you're playing java or zmplayer (maybe this happens because zmplayer takes control of the backlight and other energy-related settings)...
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:29:22 am »

that's the Ampd stepping. A real effective speedstep should work like:
1. You start java app and it is loading or you are playing a game - full speed
2. The java is loaded and you are in the main menu of the game (the processor is not really working at this time) - the processor can be downclocked

Taurnil
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:07:03 am »

Quote from: intel's website
Wireless Intel SpeedStep® Power Manager technology with five low-power modes can change frequency and voltage dynamically. Wireless Intel SpeedStep Power Manager software enables built-in, intelligent power management.
well, maybe we need to investigate deeper in this, 5 low power modes may be useful...
imamlab
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:34:14 pm »

OMG,,
taurnil i will hope on you, Kiss
im glad now exploited more active than before (momo)  Wink
but i still busy  Embarrassed
adriangatillo
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:41:53 pm »

nah... i dont think it is on APMD... it should be hidden
Wireless Intel SpeedStep® Power Manager technology with five low-power modes can change frequency and voltage dynamically. Wireless Intel SpeedStep Power Manager software enables built-in, intelligent power management.

we only have three mmm... :'( i think we´re givin importance to the processor... while it is way faster than other fone processors... although u have the BUS speed of the E2... anywayz i think the speedy secret is on the FW not in the processor...
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:01 pm »

well the speedstep on my Core2Duo is working in two frequencies only - multiplier 8x (2.16Ghz) and multiplier 6x (1.6Ghz), which is really minor. However it helps very much for reducing the heat

From one viewpoint ampd is working like a speedstep - it reduces the frequency based on circumstances. However those circumstances are not the same like the PC speedstep and that is what is bugging me Smiley

sjj
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 03:17:54 am »

I think there are still many hidden stuff on our phones...
Motorola didn't do a good job in making the E2 firmware... I think the CPU optimization is bad....
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 04:08:05 am »

I think it's all about marketing. They have very perspective platform, but they do not like to unlock all of it's features, because soon they will release newer phone (the same hardware, but more functions). That's normal - it saves a lot of money for production

motomaniacs
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 05:19:25 am »

yeah and that's our job as a modder reveal those hidden function Wink
Taurnil
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:03:13 am »

hohoho I agree with you both Smiley
we must unleash all that POWA! Cheesy
adriangatillo
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:46:05 am »

some days ago.. i was angry with motorola´s programmers.. yeah though i realized it was their fault that moto decreased to the third position... but after thinkin ... mmm i think they´re told to bolck the fones functions, even though they know its capabilities, but they still leave some space for modders Smiley we all know that if they would really feel like stop modders.. they would have done that already!

the point is... maybe the programmers think of us while programming a moto, thats why we have the chance to mod in that easy way Smiley
Taurnil
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:57:34 pm »

the point is... maybe the programmers think of us while programming a moto, thats why we have the chance to mod in that easy way
that's a cute point of view about how lazy are the motodevelopers xD
anyways, I agree with katze; motorola programmers left an open door for us  (have u seen someone modding nokia or SE so deeply?) ^_^

well, actually, I think all this stuff is about marketing. Just like exploited says... develop a platform for every phone model and unleash all his potential may result too expensive, it's easier to make a base platform for several phone models so the programmers can work less xDDDD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:59:23 pm by Taurnil » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By Forum Hosting