Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 25, 2024, 08:16:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New General Comments forum @ OpenSource Motorola  (Read 6695 times)
sjj
« on: August 11, 2007, 09:45:27 pm »

OpenSource Motorola just made a new forum for General comments... Maybe we should ask them about the MotoMAGX E2 support...
General Comments forum @ OpenSource Motorola

Description:    A discussion forum to give Motorola feedback on possible Open Source project collaborations, or what you would like to see Motorola do differently with Open Source. Note that there are no promises implied as to what will be done with the information, but the Open Source Champions team inside of Motorola does want to hear from the community.
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 04:09:13 am »

I don't have any hopes from these guys...

huatz84
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:16 am »

Me too,Exploited.If they want to know our hopes,then this community won't be exist.I mean Moto would release almost perfect phone so that we don't need modding anymore. Grin
keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

http://jeffri.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:23:01 am »

If moto release almost perfect phone, we will make it perfect! I will leave moto if it cant be modded anymore.. I hope those guy can hear our hope to release better ROKR, with double stereo speaker..

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

sjj
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:27:55 am »

Some new(ok, not so new) stuff in the forum, I hope that Motorola will give some positive replies....

https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.sitewide/discussion.opensource_feedback.topc1550

Why not some of the developers go post there too? When Motorola see that many people would like to see changes, they will respond properly....

Quote from: Stefan Schmidt
Hello.

It's nearly 2 years now I work on EZX smartphones. From A780 over E680 to ROKR E2 and A1200.  Always with the same goal:
 Provide a full free software stack on the application CPU to give the user the freedom they like.

During this time a had contact with Motorola in different ways, like private mail or public forum posts. But besides the
 upload from some source tarballs nothing I suggested was really taken into account it seems.

Now you asking for feedback what we, the open source community, would like to see from Motorola. Let me come up with
some points I have in mind right now. If you are really interested to change something in this area I can go more into
details and perhaps better explain what I mean.

o Patches instead of a tarball with sometimes unknown upstream version.
o Documented changes to the code.
o Contact to the engineers designed the drivers to answer questions.
o Evaluate whcih data sheets can be released. (PCAP2 for example seems to be a chip only used in EZX phones. Not much IP
 you would give away)
o Clarify license issues which released code.

That is just what came into my mind while writing. I can produce a longer and more detailed list if there is interest
from your side.

But after 2 years in this area I will not waste time on this if nobody takes it into account.

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Quote from: Daniel Ribeiro
Hi,

I am glad to see that Motorola wishes to become a more opensource friendly company.

I would be happy with any of:
* Hardware datasheets - Are there any datasheets you could release? PCAP2 information would be particularly useful.
* Hardware - We need a1200, e2 and e6 hardware for development.

Of course, even better than sponsoring our opensource development would be Motorola pushing and maintaining the code to
support the phones into the mainline kernel by itself.

Also, i dont want to see any type of lockup, trying to forbid the user to flash/load his own customized version of the
kernel to the phone may be considered a GPL violation, as it denies the user the right to modify the software.

Thank you for your attention, i hope that this is the initial step for a closer relationship between Motorola and our
project.
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »

yeah... bla bla bla bla Smiley Sorry for the spam reply

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By Forum Hosting