Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 04, 2024, 01:25:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlocking mobile phones discussion  (Read 3608 times)
Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:37:22 am »

I spent a lot of time today reading websites and law articles (boring) about cell phones unlocking and stuff like that... On topic: Is unlocking mobile phones illegal or not?

It looks to be a big and common misconception, and the mobile phone companies (unsurprisingly) aren't keen to dispel. The confusion arises because unlocking and unblocking are often mixed up, yet mean different things.

Unlocking is 100% legal (for sure in USA and Bulgaria). It just means making the phone work with any Sim card. It is your consumer right to have your handset unlocked. The networks have to provide you with an unlock code if you request it.

Unblocking is illegal. This is the practice of making a phone work again after it's been blocked by the networks, usually as a result of its being reported lost or stolen. Unsurprisingly, It is thoroughly illegal and should not be attempted.

But what about the cell phone warranty?

While it's not illegal, unlocking your phone WILL invalidate its warranty in most cases. Thus do think twice if you're still in the warranty period and have a super-expensive handset; while it's possible to 're-lock' some phones, this shouldn't be relied upon.

How is in your country?

lklandaverde
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:45:07 am »

Here, in Guatemala are the same laws, you can unlock your phone, but unblock its illegal, but the problem is that no one service provider gives the subsidy code, i tried many times, but no results, so thats why i use Moto, to unlock it and use it with any sim
keaglez
Indonesian Motolover
PHD modder

http://jeffri.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:49:33 am »

Unlock a subsidy phone is illegal here... Sad but people dont really care about that... Smiley

Best regards,
Jeffri H.

Exploited
Administrator
Ultimate modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:02:22 am »

I guess as soon as the forum is in legal place (USA) we can share info about it?!?

Jithin
Inactive :(
Global Moderator
PHD modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:06:36 am »

In India,there is nothing like Operator-Locked phones..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By Forum Hosting