Moto Hell - The Motorola Modding Community
May 05, 2024, 08:33:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is no longer active and registration is disabled; however you can still fetch everything as guest.

Home   Help Facebook Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding E398  (Read 7342 times)
Ottah
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:06:22 am »

Hey guys

I've had my e398 for a short time now and realized about this whole new modding things. After reading few articles listed here... i need someone to clear up few things for me..
Ok my e398 details is:

BL: 07.D0
SW:
R372_G_0E.20.95R_A

1) Now, if i decide to move to a R373_G_0E.30.49R, will it be safe? Im only updating the firmware... not BL so it should be safe shouldn't it to upgrade the firmware?? (thinking of jumping on to this, as i see quite a few firmwares using R373_G_0E.30.49R)

2) What would happen if i flashed my phone with R373_G_0E.30.49R stockfirmware? Will my phone stop functioning? what things can i expect from a stockfirmware? (i would download it from here https://motohell.com/index.php?topic=419.0

3) what is currently the cap on the amount of memory a e398 can have? 2gb or 4gb after flashing it with R373_G_0E.30.49R firmware?

4) What is the difference between e1 and rokr and original e398?

Cheers

Thats all i got for now = )

Thank you for answering the above questions...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:13:07 am by Ottah » Logged
NiKSY
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:15:46 am »

1) You need to convert it to a ROKR first, it's quite easy, just follow the tutorial - http://mirror.softcox.com/e398-to-ROKR/

2) It would stop functioning if you flash it straight over your R372, you need to convert it to a ROKR first. Than you can flash ANY r373 firmware (stock or modded)

3) It depends... Some E398 just can't read more than 512mb (the oldest models, I guess). With latest patches, E398 can now work with 2GB TF normally..
Ottah
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 02:07:38 am »

1) You need to convert it to a ROKR first, it's quite easy, just follow the tutorial - http://mirror.softcox.com/e398-to-ROKR/
Ok so, if i convert my e398 to RoKR first then flash it with a R373_G_0E.30.49R, it would be safe then?

2) It would stop functioning if you flash it straight over your R372, you need to convert it to a ROKR first. Than you can flash ANY r373 firmware (stock or modded)
If i wanted to make a mp, would i need to use a e398 stock firmware or RoKr firmware?

3) It depends... Some E398 just can't read more than 512mb (the oldest models, I guess). With latest patches, E398 can now work with 2GB TF normally..

1) Ok so, if i convert my e398 to RoKR first then flash it with a R373_G_0E.30.49R, it would be safe then?

2) If i wanted to make a mp, would i need to use a e398 stock firmware or RoKr stock firmware if i wanted to use R373_G_0E.30.49R?
Im just a little confused looking at the firmwares for:

E398:
https://motohell.com/index.php?topic=419.0

RoKR:
https://motohell.com/index.php?topic=284.0

R373_G_0E.30.49R is listed under the e398 section, so wouldn't i need to stay with the e398 instead of converting it to RoKR?

3) Ok got you... i would need to test it out before buying a 2gb = )

4) What is the difference between e1 and rokr and original e398?

Cheers
NiKSY
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:33:23 am »

First, welcome to MotoHell! Place for all motomodding enthusiasts...! Smiley

Ok, so, we have two Motorola models witch are completely same by hardware - E398 and ROKR E1 (Some call it just E1 or just ROKR). They are different in software. R372 is E398's firmware, older, with less features (no video recording, no iTunes, no skins support) and R373 is ROKR E1's firmware (newer, has all that stuff and is faster...).

One more difference is in bootloader versions. E398 has (almost always) 07.D0 (which is LTE) and ROKR E1 has 0A.02 (which is LTE2, has firmware checking included, so it's more complicated for hacking).

Every monster pack maker writes for which bootloader is his MP... If you have 07.D0 you should flash only MP's for that bootloader. Any other MP will kill your phone. (But don't worry too much, that's not REALLY dead, you could fix it easily Wink ).

So... Why you should convert to a ROKR? Because you can't flash R373 directly to R372. And, trust me, R373 is way better, so just convert it and enjoy Wink

I don't know how confusing I wrote this, so again - what ever isn't clear to you, ask Wink Or ask again, if I skipped any questions... Cheesy

I'm in E398/ROKR modding since 2006th... (:

Cheers!
Ottah
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:30:52 pm »

Ok

I think my friend (supposed to be tech savvy) messed up my e398.

I sat next to him, as he did everything

Here is what he did

First i got him to backup my PDS, fullback up, BL like the instruction was saying (he didn't want to, but i made him...)

1) successfully installed PST

2) started following the e398 to rokr e1 convertor guide

3) got stuck at the "42r-for-all .shx" part... so he decided to use one which you don't need to resetup the bluetooth file

4) Under flash setup menu, he selected the 42r-for-all (special edition, which doesn't require bluetooth setting up) and left the flex setup blank.

5) Under preference, he selected the top 2 parts in multiflash flex tool 1.8

6) he hit start

7) It quickly (within 30sec) finish, and said it was successful

Cool Now the phone won't turn on. It makes a few cracking noise when you turn it on but it doesn't turn on. I can get into the bootloader mode still...

9) He tried sticking NaNO_Monsters Pack, first by using the EROKR version... once that didn't work, he used the e398 however the phone is not turning on.

The only thing i can do now is, get into the bootloader mode....

is my phone truly dead? arghhh... friends aye ...

can i do anything?

any help would be appreciated....

cheers

NiKSY
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:57:21 am »

Get in the bootloader mode and restore your FULL BACKUP.

You never flash ROKR version mp to an E398 (or E398@ROKR).

*E398@ROKR is E398 with R373 firmware*

Your friend should've known better, since he knows about that other flash, that doesn't mess up your unique bluetooth address...
Use the FULL 42R_for_all_for_E398 flash (I can upload it for you, if you have trouble finding it). Your phone will work. After just that flashed.

You need a full battery to restore your backup and full again to flash again... Hope you have a friend with e398/ROKR :S
Ottah
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:51 am »

:'(

Sadly, R.I.P

My e398 died, now it won't turn on anymore.

I tried to revive the phone but i realised, my battery has died ..... arghhhh

lol, i don't know anyone who has a e398 or similar phone that would be able to charge my battery ... hmm kinda sucks

Now... i need to find a new pcb board, so i can replace the pcb board, charge it and try it again ...

hmmm maybe i need to find someone i can ship my phone to... so they can fix it for me = ) ... i would need to cover the cost of shipping though .. depending where it is ..

cheaper than giving it to a guy at the repair shop... who charges $25 for just looking at the damn thing ...
vedesh
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:27:35 am »

you can cut the charger wire halfway and connect directly to the battery. There are two wires coming from the plug, the one with the grey coloured line is the positive. On the battery there are four terrminals focus on the two end ones. The end one that has a (+) on that side is the positive. Connect the grey wire to it and put a piece of tape to hold it. Connect the plain black wire to the other end terminal and stick it with tape. Dont worry you cannot get shocked! Plug on the charger for about an hour and keep it in sight in case anything goes wrong. Then force boot your phone by using this method:
 1 remove battery
 2 get a piece of thin wire and touch it to the fourth and fifth contact from the right side
 3 insert the battery while touching the wire on both contacts

your phone should now be in bootloader mode, connect it to you pc and restore your backup.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:38:15 pm by vedesh » Logged
NiKSY
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:42 am »

You can do that... I have one E398 that has a broken charging port, so I charge the battery that way... And, you can fix the charger when you fix your E398 Wink

If your battery is empty, charge it for 3 hours and don't worry Wink
jzzz
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:26:12 am »

Just for info,sometimes 42r for all will kill your phone.
So,i always pass this step for modding the original e398.
And it always successed  in many e398 which i have modded.
So you only need to flash with MP you want.
NiKSY
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:02:13 am »

Just for info,sometimes 42r for all will kill your phone.
So,i always pass this step for modding the original e398.
And it always successed  in many e398 which i have modded.
So you only need to flash with MP you want.

Nonsense. 42_for_all fixed MANY e398's, I don't know how it could kill one... On whatever 07.D0 phone you flash it > it works!
It can fix phones because it contains a generic PDS...

My first flash was 42R_for_all... Worked like a charm... It was 1st september 2006th... So, trust me, I know better...
eckoo
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:32 pm »

May be mean of Mr jazz is 42 for Cg1 only.its can be kill your phone.But if like said Mr niksy, if we use 42 for all full flash, i think is safe.until now i more pleasure use flex enable and 12prereflesh its old method.Sory bad english.Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By Forum Hosting